Bio-Oil is now available in India not just online but also in some supermarkets. It is raved about everywhere in the world for its amazing properties. The top of the list is as a stretch mark erasing oil. I was amazed and almost didn’t believe at first at the fact that this one oil could have so many amazing effects on the skin. Let’s read about the complete Bio Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil Review, Ingredients, Effects
Claims for Bio Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil
Bio‑Oil is a specialist skincare oil that helps improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks and uneven skin tone. It is also effective for aging and dehydrated skin. Bio‑Oil has won 284 skincare awards and has become the No.1 selling scar and stretch mark product in 20 countries since its global launch in 2002.
The Bio‑Oil formulation is a combination of plant extracts and vitamins suspended in an oil base. It contains the breakthrough ingredient PurCellin Oil™, which changes the formulation’s overall consistency, making it light and non-greasy. This ensures that the goodness contained in the vitamins and plant extracts is easily absorbed.
Bio‑Oil has undergone safety assessments in accordance with the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on Cosmetic Products. The toxicological profile, chemical structure, level of inclusion and total level of daily exposure of each ingredient used has been assessed and deemed safe for use (including for use by pregnant women).
Bio‑Oil is a member of Beauty Without Cruelty.
Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract (Calendula Oil)
Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (Lavender Oil)
Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil (Rosemary Oil)
Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil (Chamomile Oil)
Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A)
Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)
Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum)
Glycine Soja Oil
Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil
Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde
Orange: CI 26100 (Red 17)
Rs. 450/- for 60 ml in India and $ 11.99 for 2 oz. in the US.
What is PurCellin Oil?
So I did a little online research and found out that some people said that PurCellin is a substance secreted by Ducks on their skin to keep their feathers waterproof. Now this is completely absurd. The only possible relation between the duck preening substance and “PurCellin” is that they both are esters. Esters are hydrophobic or water repellant so they keep the surface from absorbing or losing oil. PurCellin is actually a synthetic ingredient which is in the language of chemistry known as cetearyl ethylhexanoate. Its often used in cosmetic industry to make the texture of the products light and non greasy. Now I really wonder, why do they call this a “breakthrough ingredient”. I mean just giving a fancy name to an ingredient does not make it “breakthrough”. I presume its a pure marketing gimmick. Bio-oil is a paraffin based oil which has some of the most amazing oils for the skin, this I agree. But PurCellin is not doing anything out of the box by itself.
In Detail Bio Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil Review, Ingredients, Effects and My Experience (Also my mom’s experience)
It comes in a very basic transparent plastic packaging with a screw cap. The outer label mentions almost all details about the product. It has a very floral kind of a smell to it which I relate to all the essential oils it has. Thin oily consistency of the product makes it very easy to apply.
How My mom and I used it
1. My mum used it on her pregnancy stretch marks which were more than 23 years old and on the scar marks of her surgery which was done just an year ago. She would take the oil on her palms and apply it after her shower and before bed i.e. twice daily. She has been doing this since 2 months.
2. I have some uneven skin tone on my face with some pigmentation around my lips. Also I have oily-combination skin. Although this is an oil, I religiously applied it every night before bed for around 6-7 weeks.
3. I also applied it on my elbows and knees which get super dry.
4. I applied it on my foot and wore socks before sleeping.
5. Sometimes, when my skin felt very dry, I even applied it after my shower in place of my regular moisturiser.
My mum’s pregnancy marks did not reduce or go away. It did lighten the marks just a tad bit by reducing the hyperpigmentation around the area. Because my mum had a classical C-section when I was born (apparently I had the cord around my neck), she has a scar stretching from her navel till down. So she never used to wear her saree below her navel. However because bio oil has lightened up the scar a little bit, she has worn her saree below navel a few times without feeling very conscious about her scar marks now.
Mother also had a scar on her right upper abdomen from a recent surgery conducted one year ago. Now the results on that scar have been incredible. It has made the scar less apparent by approximately 40% which is a great deal at my mom’s age (she is 48). The scar hasn’t shrunk in size, but this oil has made the scar area appear very even due to which the scar is very less noticeable now.
I used it on my face for uneven skin tone and this has helped make my skin appear more even. I did not notice great results as far as this aspect is concerned but I have to say that it moisturised the face very well and inspite of being an oil, did not break me out or anything. In fact it provided a bit of glow on my face in the morning. My skin felt softer and smoother. My elbows and knees which were super dry used to drink this stuff like crazy. Bio Oil has made my elbows and knees look much softer and reduced the hyperpigmentation on the skin there. Since I have moved to my new house, I wasn’t able to take care of my feet much so I decided to apply this every night and put my socks on. This has proved to be god sent for my feet which are much softer due to its regular use. Lastly, whenever I applied it after my shower, it made my skin super soft and hydrated. This absorbed in my skin quickly and left no oily or greasy feeling behind. I am seriously in love with this stuff. Because this product has been marked as safe to be used in pregnancy by the company, I guess this would be very helpful in preventing the stretch marks from becoming oddly large during pregnancy. Some ladies have also raved about it that it reduced their wrinkles. Before I forget to mention, I have used it as a makeup remover a couple of times and it worked great at removing even the most stubborn waterproof mascara!
Overall I have to say that this oil is a complete bomb dot com and if you’re someone who loves to pamper their skin with oils, try this one. For beauties struggling with stretch marks or any kind of completely healed scars should give this a try. It is amazing how this helps make them look so much less apparent. It does not vanish the marks but makes them visibly reduced. So yes, I highly recommend this to everyone, men and women of all ages.
More Photos and Swatches
PROs of Bio Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil
1. Pleasant light fragrance, light weight oil.
2. Honestly, this is one of the best budget friendly product in the market which I have seen making a difference on stretch marks and healed scars by making them less apparent.
3. Makes scars less apparent by making the skin look more even.
4. Makes the skin really soft and smooth.
5. Works great for hands and feet and makes them super soft.
6. Does not make the skin feel greasy or oily and absorbs effortlessly.
7. Did not break me out at all. (I have oily-combination skin)
CONs of Bio Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil
1. Contains mineral oils.
2. Did not show significant results on my uneven skin tone.
1. This product takes time to work and show effects. If you are planning on starting to use this, make up your mind and be consistent and regular. Be patient because it takes time but surely shows noticeable results.
2. If this can work for my oily combination skin, I think its safe to use it if you have oily or combination skin.
3. Dry skin beauties will absolutely love this thing.
4. I recommend this to everyone because it solves so many skin concerns. It truly is a multipurpose skin oil.