Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact Review, Shades, Swatches: Hi my ladies, today let us talk about the newest launch by Nykaa makeup line. They recently came out with a compact which is supposed to be hydrating. Now, I have heard about hydrating creme compacts as well as compact powders for dry skin. However this is the first time I came across a “Hydrating compact powder”. Therefore, I was very curious to try it out. I have been using this since the last one week and now I am ready to share my experience with you pretty ladies. Hence, to explore more about this product and to learn about my experience, kindly keep on reading.
About Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact
Experience a luxurious, weightless texture that feels like your second-skin! Nykaa SKINgenius Compact seamlessly blends in your skin and perfects your complexion. The PolyLift technology allows the powder to melt in your skin, giving you a naturally radiant look. Enriched with Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E, it ensures you stay fresh and hydrated round the clock. Never cakey, never dry, its velvety formula covers your imperfection to you give you a youthful, radiant complexion.
- Sophisticated Matte Finish
- Enriched with Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E
- Fragrance free and paraben free
Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact All Shades Guide
There are 3 shades available
1. Natural Ivory 01
2. Rose Beige 02
3. Warm Honey 03
How to Use Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact
No specific instructions mentioned on the package. Hence, no unique way of applying this. Use this as you would use any other normal compact powder.
Ingredients in Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact
Price of Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact
₹ 525.00 for 9 g in India
This product is only available in India right now. Nykaa is an Indian online Beauty and Makeup shopping portal which has launched its own line of cosmetics recently.
In Detail Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact Review, Swatches and My Experience
Nykaa has chosen quite a name for the compact. They have been coming out with pretty amazing products in their newly started makeup line. We already have reviews of Nykaa’s Makeup products up on MBF. Today I am covering the newest launch. The Nykaa Skingenius compact comes in a matte black compact case. The compact pan itself is pretty regular with a mirror. When you lift the compact pan, you’ll see the sponge applicator is placed beneath it. I appreciate the fact that Nykaa has mentioned a detailed ingredient list
Everything about the packaging is fine except one. I have to insert my nail beside the compact pan to lift it up, and it’s quite a struggle I must say. It would have been a million times better if they just provided a groove or a little knob sort of thing to lift the compact pan up. Because it is so difficult to get to the sponge applicator, I hardly ever use it. It just sits there, no use to me. Another thing which I am not very comfortable with is the fact that the compact opens up only till 90 degrees. It does not open up beyond that. It feels pretty confining to me.
Speaking about the compact powder itself. The powder has no scent to it. However, if you get your nose very close to the compact pan, there is a slight fragrance you will notice. But it doesn’t really bother me because the scent fades off in a minute. The compact powder has the smoothest texture ever. It is extremely finely milled and in fact, one of the most finely milled powder you might have ever come across. So basically, the texture is super amazing.
How I Use it
1. As a compact powder – I use my Real Technique Buffing brush to apply the compact on my face. On a daily basis I do not use a foundation. I use a BB cream usually and apply this powder on top as a compact. Its easy to apply.
2. As a setting powder – I tried to use this as a setting powder a couple of times. I used it to set my under eyes areas after concealer. However didn’t work that well as a setting powder. I will talk about more details below.
As a compact powder, it applies very nicely because of its lovely texture. It gives a decent matte finish on the skin. This also gives a slight brightening effect. It applies evenly and does not accentuate dry patches. However, it has very sheer coverage, almost no coverage if I may say. Upon layering or building up, it still looks sheer. If I go a little overboard trying to build up the coverage, it starts looking cakey.
It does not hide any uneven skin tone, hyper pigmentation or problem areas. Also, it does not control oils on the skin for a long time. It gives a matte effect only for 2 hours at max. After that, it is unable to control any skin oils. In fact, if I move to a non air conditioned environment, its mattifying effect lasts on me for only one hour. Hence, this is definitely not a good option for oily skin beauties or beauties with very oily T zone.
I am not going to demo it over an actual oil swatch on my skin, because for a minute, obviously any powder will take away the shininess of an oil. However what we are looking for is, if it can prevent our skin from getting oily under natural environmental conditions. This cannot be demonstrated unless I do a wear test on my skin and check in every hour.
As a setting powder, it does not prevent creasing. For 30 minutes, it looks like its working fine, but then creasing starts on the under eyes area. So, I just tried this twice as a setting powder and then decided to stop because this did not work. Please keep in mind that Nykaa does not say that it can be used as a setting powder. It was my own experiment.
I have combination skin. My T zone gets oily within 2 hours when I wear this, although 90% of the time I am inside an air conditioned environment. Hence, as much as I like its texture and mattifying effect, I do not find myself wanting to reach for it. I honestly would have loved this during the winter season, however I am not a fan of this product in this hot summers. My cousin who has dry skin, used this compact but wasn’t happy with the sheer coverage. Although she loved the fact that it did not accentuate the dry areas on her skin. Also, I am not emphasising her opinion here because she just used it two times.
More Photos, Swatches
PROs of Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact
1. Absolutely love the finely milled as well as super duper smooth texture.
2. Gives a matte finish.
3. Controls skin oils under natural conditions for around 2 hours.
4. Does not accentuate dry areas on the skin.
5. Has a slight brightening effect.
6. Has hyaluronic acid and Vitamin E listed near the end of ingredient list. So although in very small quantities, it does have these ingredients which are known to nourish the skin.
CONs of Nykaa SKINgenius Skin Perfecting & Hydrating Compact
1. I am not very happy about the packaging because its difficult to get to the sponge applicator compartment.
2. I am not a fan of the applicator itself, so end up using a brush always.
3. Does not control skin oils on my combination skin beyond 2 hours.
4. Sheer to no coverage.
5. Does not build up well. Upon layering a lot, it starts looking made up.
6. Limited Shades. I really hope they come up with more shades because 3 shades is like very less in a country where people have so many beautiful skin tones.
1. I advise using a brush to apply this. The powder does not pack well with the sponge applicator.
2. Do not build it up for more than 2 layers because after that it starts looking artificial.
3. Make sure you blend the powder well to avoid caky effect.
4. This would be amazing for ladies who live in colder areas. In fact, I think I will love this during the winter season.
5. Make sure to re-touch or blot your skin after 2 or 3 hours if you have oily to combination skin.