Kylie Jenner Lip Kit Mary Jo K Review, Swatches: Hey pretties! I’m back with a review of a much coveted product – the Kylie Jenner lip kits! Now when this came out initially, I was dying to get my hands on it, and I didn’t know why. I personally am not a fan of the Jenners / Kardashians, so it came as a surprise to me that I wanted this kit so bad. And back when it was released, it was almost impossible to get your hands on. People were selling it at outrageous prices, which I wasn’t ready to pay. I wanted the kit but not that badly!
Finally I found someone who wasn’t charging an arm and leg for it, and asked her to order the shade Mary Jo K for me as it was the safest option. She only had 6 colors out at that time, and I wasn’t sure the nudes would suit my skin tone. It worked out anyways because I’m a little obsessed with reds as you’ll see in my future reviews as well! So after multiple attempts, she was finally able to place an order for me, and a few weeks later I got my kit! Read to see how it turned out…
About Kylie Jenner Lip Kits
The #KylieCosmetics LipKit is your secret weapon to create the perfect ‘Kylie Lip.’ Each Lip Kit comes with a Matte Liquid Lipstick and matching Lip Liner. Mary Jo K is a true blue red.
Kylie Jenner Lip Liner Mary Jo K
This ultra-long wearing lip liner has a creamy texture that glides across the lips for a very easy and comfortable application. The Lip Liner sharpens easily in most standard sized sharpeners – just make sure your sharpener is not dull!
Kylie Jenner Liquid Matte Lipstick Mary Jo K
has high intensity pigment for an instant bold matte lip. The extremely long wearing lipstick contains moisturizing ingredients for a comfortable, emollient and silky feel that does not dry your lips out.
How to Use Kylie Lip Kits
Kylie’s Tips – Line lips with lip liner and fill lips with liquid lip color.
I would recommend
- Moisturizing your lips prior to application so they are hydrated as liquid lipsticks tend to be a little drying.
- Outline your lips with the lip liner, and then apply the liquid lipstick on top.
- Work fast, as the liquid matte dries fast. Apply a thin layer otherwise it will cake and flake off. The liquid lipstick is full coverage so a thin layer works perfectly.
- 1 Matte Liquid Lipstick (0.11 fl oz. /oz. liq / 3.25 ml) and
- 1 Pencil Lip Liner (net wt. / poids net .03 oz/ 1.0g)
Price of Kylie Jenner Lip Kits
$ 29.00 for a lip kit in the USA
Kylie cosmetics are exclusively sold on their website. They do not sell at sephora or any other stores neither on some other websites.
Each Lip kit retails for $29 without tax. There are shipping charges per order. Its best to buy these directly from the Kylie cosmetics website because there are way too many fakes out there. They do offer international shipping.
In Detail Kylie Jenner Lip Kit Mary Jo K Review, Swatches and My Experience
When I finally got my hands on it, I was pretty excited, so much so that I couldn’t bring myself to use it and I just stared at it for some time! Finally I broke the ice and applied it for the first time. It smelled so yummy, like cherries! I used the lip liner and I fell in love. One of the best lip liners I’ve used honestly, it was so smooth and creamy; had no issues in application at all! I was pretty happy with the color pay off and the result.
The lipstick stayed on decently even through eating and drinking. It did disappear from the middle of my lips, and faded along the edges but nothing too drastic. That’s good for me because literally nothing lasts on me. Normal lipsticks have no chance, because I end up eating it, as I lick my lips a lot.
I like how it dries how completely matte, however because of this, it’s more prone to flake off, which is why a thin layer is best, which works as the product is pigmented. One thing I don’t like is how the lip liner is getting used up faster than the liquid lipstick. I do like both of them together although I’ve tried the liquid lipstick on its own and that works for me as well.
Here are some hand swatches
Freshly applied – Liquid Lipstick, Lip liner, and liquid lipstick with lip liner underneath
When washed with water – No transfer or bleeding
When rubbed while it is still wet – The color did budge. The lip liner has faded but the liquid lipstick is still intact for the most part
Here is the wear test on the Lips
3 hours later – After a bit of eating and drinking. It’s held up decently, apart from the middle which can be reapplied
5-6 hours later – After a meal and drinking. It doesn’t look too terrible. It’s still on for the most part but definitely needs a touch up.
More Photos, Swatches and MBF Makeup Look
Kylie Cosmetics VS ColourPop Controversy on Similar Formulas
I also want to address the rumours that Kylie lipsticks are just repackaged Colourpop ultra mattes. Yes the similarities are uncanny, in packaging yes, but they aren’t the same, I assure you. Basically they are just produced in the same factory, under the name of ‘Seed Beauty’. It’s very common for multiple brands to be produced under one roof. Brands like Kat Von D, Bite Beauty, Formula X etc. are all also manufactured under one roof, yet their products are very distinct.
Now the formulas of Colourpop and Kylie’s kits are similar in terms of ingredients, but are mentioned in a different order. The order in which the ingredients are listed is determined by the amount of which is included. Like the first ingredient listed, would be the ingredient that is most dominant in the formula. So while the ingredients may be similar, they are listed in a different order which effects how much of what is used, which in turn alters the formula.
Personally I have used both and there is a clear difference. Colourpop is a lot more drying on my lips, to the point where I can’t stand to wear it, whereas Kylie isn’t so. Colourpop also bleeds outside my lip lines without fail every single time, whilst Kylie’s doesn’t. So I don’t believe these rumours that are floating around. As much as I’ve researched on it, I’m pretty satisfied that I didn’t waste my money buying ‘expensive’ Colourpop.
Pros of Kylie Jenner Lip Kit Mary Jo K
- Pigmented – Full colour in one swipe!
- Matching lip liner included in the kit to help the liquid lipstick stay on longer and not bleed outside the lips (Although it’s just as good without)
- Suitable for all skin tones
- Less drying then a lot of other liquid lipstick formulas
- Long lasting (See wear test below)
- Smells like cherries – I hate products that smell sweet or like chemicals. So I enjoy the cherry scent on this
- Reasonably priced at $29 for 2 items in a kit.
- Constantly restocked so people can get their hands on it a lot more easily now
- Variety of colors for different skin tones available in the range.
- Dries down really fast and completely matte without tackiness
- Products available separately as well in case someone doesn’t want both
Cons of Kylie Jenner Lip Kit Mary Jo K
- Too many fakes in the market, so people get easily conned. Best to buy directly from the website.
- Flakes off from the middle after a few hours of wear.
- Shipping is charged on the website no matter what (they should have free shipping after a certain amount!)
- Gets drying after a few hours of wear
- Lip liner will finish a lot faster than the liquid lipstick
- Moisturize your lips with a very hydrating lip balm, at least half an hour prior to application so your lips are supple and smooth
- Use the lip liner with the liquid lipstick always so the color doesn’t bleed out of your lip line.
- Always apply a thin layer so it doesn’t start flaking off
- Be quick with the application as it dries fast and would become difficult to work with.
- Seal the cap on tight to avoid the formula getting dry in the bottle.
While I wouldn’t say it’s the best liquid lipstick out there, it certainly is one of the better ones. So I’m glad I bought it and got to try it out. I would love to get some more colors in the future. The lip liner is bomb though!
Hope you found this helpful! Let me know your thoughts if you’ve tried any of the lip kits <3
Have a great day beautiful!