The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask Review, Swatches: Hey guys, so with summers comes numerous skin problems like tanning, breakouts, uneven skin tone, dullness etc. I honestly love clay based face masks for summers specially because I have combination skin. Hence most of my skin problems are probably due to extra oiliness which is taken care of by clay based masks. The Body Shop recently launched their expert facial masks collection and I really wanted to try them out. However the price tag was kind of high when I first looked at it.
So I was at the body shop store the other day and while browsing through their new products, I couldn’t help myself but pick this one. First because it says “Himalayan” – I am a wee bit obsessed with being an Indian. Secondly the SA told me that this is the best selling out of all the face masks that were released. Therefore I got it and have been using it since then. Today, after using it for almost more than 5 weeks, I am here to share my experience with this product.
About The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
Refine and revive your skin with our Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask. Inspired by Ayurvedic traditions, this 100% vegan tingling clay mask is infused with bamboo charcoal, green tea leaves and organic tea tree oil. And it’s been formulated without parabens, paraffin, silicone or mineral oil. This invigorating charcoal face mask draws out impurities and refines the appearance of pores for healthy-looking skin with a glow that shows. Complete your facial at home expert by applying this purifying blend with our Facial Mask Brush
- 100% vegan
- Tingling charcoal clay mask
- Absorbs excess oil
- For skin that needs extra purification to reveal a healthy, youthful glow
- Formulated without parabens, paraffin, silicone or mineral oil
- Ideal to create a facial at home
- Packed with bamboo charcoal from the Himalayan Foothills, green tea leaves from Japan and organic Community Trade tea tree oil from Kenya
How to Use The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
- After removing makeup and cleansing the skin, use the Facial Mask Brush to smooth an even layer of the Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask onto the face avoiding eye and lip area.
- Apply to neck and décolletage if desired.
- Leave for 5-10 minutes then rinse off with warm water and a muslin cloth in circular motions to gently exfoliate.
- Use 2 to 3 times a week.
- Use various masks in different areas to target specific areas of your face.
Ingredients in The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
Aqua/Water/Eau, Kaolin, Moroccan Lava Clay, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Alcohol Denat., Camellia Sinensis Leaf, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Pumice, Argania Spinosa Shell Powder, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Parfum/Fragrance, Charcoal Powder, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Limonene, Linalool, Methylpropanediol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Menthol, Disodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil/Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Citric Acid, Menthoxypropanediol, Citral, Geraniol, Coumarin, Caramel
Price of The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
$ 28.00 for 2.8 oz in USA
C$ 28.00 for 75 mL in Canada
£ 16.00 for 75 mL in UK & Scotland
€ 14.90 for 75 mL in Europe, France, & Germany
CHF 34.90 for 75 mL in Switzerland
Kr 195.00 for 75 mL in Sweden
A$ 35.00 for 75 mL in Australia
NZ$ 44.95 for 75 mL in New Zealand
S$ 32.90 for 75 mL in Singapore
RM 99.00 for 75 mL in Malaysia
₱ 1195.00 for 75 mL in Philippines
₹ 2495.00 for 75 mL in India
In Detail The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask Review, Swatches and My Experience
The Himalayan Charcoal mask is named so because it contains bamboo charcoal obtained from Himalayan foothills. This is the main limelight ingredient here. Other noticeable ingredients include green tea leaves from Japan as well as Tea Tree Oil from Kenya. It comes in a glass tub with a screw lid. Pretty basic packaging but with the amber glass it looks kinda cute. The body shop has a complete list of ingredients mentioned on the packaging. Also, I love the fact that TBS has started putting an outer paper box packaging on their products.
When you open the lid, there’s a white protective lid to prevent spillage. Then when you remove that, you see this clay with some particles in it. Looks not so fancy to be honest. But those particles are basically shreds of green tea leaves. It smells very fresh and may be a little green tea & mint like. The consistency is not super runny. Its enough so that the mask does not drip when you apply it on the face.
How I Use it
I always cleanse my face with a face wash before applying any face mask because I feel they would work better on cleansed skin. So after that, I apply the mask on my face in a thin even layer. I make sure to cover my entire facial skin as well as my neck area. Then I let it air dry. In fact, this mask takes only about 10 minutes to dry which is pretty quick. I still let it stay for 10-15 minutes because I love the cooling and tingling sensation it gives to my face. After it dries completely, I remove it with normal temperature water. The little green tree leaves flakes have a slight exfoliating action on the skin.
As I mentioned above, immediately after applying the mask, I can feel this tingling sensation all over my facial skin. Its just mild and I kind of like it. Also, there is a cooling effect on the skin which is so satisfying in this summer season. After washing off the face mask, the cooling sensation still stays behind for a moment. My face feels so soft and deeply cleansed. There is an added glow to my skin which is totally amazing. What I really love about this mask is, it visibly reduces my tan in a single use.
I use this twice a week and after 2 weeks, my tan was almost completely gone. It does cleanse pores to a good extent although not completely. Also, I was breaking out a little bit but since I have started using this mask, the frequency of my breakouts has greatly reduced. This face mask is clay based and it definitely absorbs all the extra oiliness from my skin.
I have to admit that I didn’t think this mask would work so well for me. I was pleasantly surprised at the amazing effects it has shown me on my skin. My skin looks visibly bright and glowing. My breakouts have almost stopped and my pores don’t look messed up. If you’re someone facing skin issues like oiliness, occasional breakouts and tanning; you should totally check out this face mask. It is quite costly I agree but the effects this has shown on my skin are pretty incredible to be honest. I definitely recommend this face mask for all those of you who are interested. Also, if you have tried it, please do not forget to share your experience with us in the comments below. 🙂
More Photos, Swatches
PROs of The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
1. I really like the amber glass jar packaging. Although it isn’t very travel safe.
2. It has bamboo charcoal, green tea leaves flakes and tea tree oil in a clay base which work amazingly for deep cleansing the skin.
3. Makes my skin soft and takes away all the oiliness.
4. Visibly reduces skin tan after a single use.
5. With continued usage, you can definitely see your skin becoming more glowy and brighter.
6. Has good cleansing effect on the pores as well.
7. I really like the slight tingling and cooling sensation I get while this is on.
8. While washing it off, the green tea leaves flakes work great as mild exfoliators.
9. Product is not tested on animals.
CONs of The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Purifying Glow Mask
2. Clay based masks are always messy to take off. This one actually has some leaves flakes so it gets slightly more messy.
3. I am not sure how this would work on dry skin beauties because it does contain denaturated alcohol.
1. Please use face masks on cleansed skin to see maximum benefits.
2. I like to use this before I goto shower so that its easy for me to take it off while I am showering and my sink doesn’t get very messy.
3. Always use your regular moisturiser after using any clay based face mask.
4. Keep the jar safe because it is made out of glass, so it will definitely shatter if it falls.